Friday, March 19, 2010

The Brown Bag Busteth the Balls

I wonder if I could brown bag my lunch for five days in a row?  I wonder if I could brown bag (Gulp) a decent lunch for five days in a row?  Not very glamorous I know but Sara Dickerman wrote an article, Can It, in Slate on the new "fad" of canning food.  (I know what the hell huh.  I hate it when stuff I think is cool is actually cool.)  It raises this question for me. 
But don't be fooled: Along with independence there is plenty of self-congratulation. These culinary trophies are emblematic of a project-based food relationship that we urban food junkies are prone to indulge these days: athletic all-weekend bouts of cheesemaking, or bacon curing, or jam and pickle making are so much more bloggable and boastworthy than making a decent brown-bag lunch five days in a row...
Ouch.  That cuts deep.  I honestly may have met my match with this challenge.  I don't think I can go BB all the way.  I can pile garbage and butcher meat and run around in a loin clothe through the wild woods with a sinew-backed longbow but pack my own lunch to work every day?  It's a bit terrifying.  We'll see come Monday. 

1 comment:

  1. We better get some groceries this weekend then? Does walmart food make decent lunches?

    ReplyDelete