Thursday, February 25, 2010

On Eggs

I make redress.  I'm not a compassionate person or sensitive.  That's I'm sure apparent if you've read even one of these posts.  But if you were such a person I can see why you would eat eggless food.  I started thinking about this after my brilliant but uninformed attack on eggless mayo.  Though I still stand by my aversion to an industrial solution to an industrial problem, my thinking has changed.  I'm not vegan and I never will be nor do I know anyone in this fine meat eating state that is.  That would be about as typical as a three-legged, albino, cowmoose.  I do know some though who refuse to eat foods produced by systems such as these.  They're folks to be admired.  One of the reasons I say this is because this type of industrial farming, of which egg factories is just one example, isn't just about being cruel to animals.  This world is cruel after all.  But this type of farming has to do something to our soul.  It takes away a piece of us, as good workers and good people.  The mechanization of farming isn't just destructive to animals and land.  I can't imagine it not destroying some part of us after watching this video.  So I eat my humble pie.  Hold the eggs please. 



Oh and that's just the beginning of their life.  Here's where they end up.  Not sure if getting ground alive is that bad after all.  Livin the American dream.

We now return you to your regular programming.

2 comments:

  1. You're right. Even though we couldn't watch the video (it kept cutting out on us), it along with the picture was enough to know it's cruel. Cruelty not only hurts the animal experiencing it but certainly has to deaden the people involved in that kind of farming (if indeed it can be called farming). No, it can't be called farming. Farming has to respect creation. Yes, it kills something in the soul of mankind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder where ground up chicks end up. McNuggets?

    ReplyDelete