Thursday, February 11, 2010

Does Wendell Berry Fish?


Yet another question I told you I'd answer after a recent trip to the river.  I'm trying to be honest and work my way through them, though some, this one especially, have no simple answer.  I know it seems simple, to fish or not to fish.  But, short of meeting the old poet on the river and asking him, I can't really say and if you've ever tried to google WB then you understand one of the great frustrations of stepping into the 21st century: he's google proof. (The other is a toss up between low flow toilets and Simple's eco friendly fall-on-your-ass-and-feel-good-about-the-environment shoes).

So does Wendell Berry Fish? 

I'll have to say no.  But Jesus did.

In the immortal words of Norman Maclean:
...our father was a Presbyterian minister and a fly fisherman who tied his own flies and taught others. He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.
Thank you Norman.  Enough said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment