Friday, January 15, 2010

Experiment Q




Experiment Q is going poorly.  I haven't even seen the target since I last posted.  There is some sort of disconnect between what we term community and what we experience in the real world and I'm not sure how to overcome the gap.  The isolation of modern society is kindof a catch phrase that goes round in conversation and commentary but doesn't really mean much cause nobody really understands it.  Its not until you intend to commune that it becomes frustratingly apparent and in a passive aggresive trip you up from behind kindof way.  I don't want to be purposeful about it because purpose makes me want to gag.  I just want to it to be the way things are.  So there I am stuck in a bog of disconnected congeniality. 

I reread Wendell's words and I think that I'm missing something important.  In his essay "Native Hill" it is brightly apparent that Wendell connects his personhood with his place.  They are inseparable.  In my quote from last post he says that when he thinks of these things he thinks of the people of this place.  So maybe I only have half the picture of community.  What is place? 

The other issue is, will Experiment Q ever read this and when he does will I have made myself a complete douche?  I've found the public nature of this media to be intimidating.  My wife reads it daily for goodness sake, or so she says.  Its not as if I want to air my dirty laundry although I'm sure that would be quite entertaining, but I did want to be honest about finding a connection with the old poet and thinker and that's difficult. 

Unless I want to make a grand effort then Experiment Q will have to occur in happenstance and even then I somehow doubt I have the presence of mind to understand J in any depth.  That's neither here nor there.  In the meantime I'm going to read and think.  I'm much better at that anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment