Monday, June 14, 2010

Return from Boston

Though I didn't happen to mention it last week, perhaps as much out of guilt as complacency, I just returned from Boston and a much anticipated 9 days there.  We expunged a good amount of jet fuel and endured a lengthy amount of coralling, molesting, marching, sitting, and general boredom to get there and back.  But the time there was well worth it for a number of reasons.  I'm sitting now and thinking about our experiences there and hoping to get some insights about my own place and things in general. 

My first realization was I'm glad I don't live there.  As the saying goes; its a nice place to visit but for the traffic, garbage, assholes, and humid, pungent stink.  There were a lot of redeeming reasons to visit Bean Town but I would hate, loathe and despise living there.  It is the nature of travel for myself that makes me rethink my place and miss it dearly.  I'd be intrigued to hear Wendell talk of his time in New York when he first left home and went to be educated and began his professorship there and how that affected his view of home and place.  He hasn't talked about it at any length that I can remember but I have to wonder if it can be good to leave home and come back again?  Can it be necessary? 

No comments:

Post a Comment